Monday, September 8, 2008

Trudy the Owl

Poor Trudy ... She sat in pieces for at least a week, being assembled in and around other projects. She's a very long-legged owl, inspired by the multitude of owls I've seen lately. Miss E has a new fall shirt with an owl embroidered on it, new PJs with a mama and baby owl duo (I must make some like them!), and owls everywhere I look. We saw two in the latest Pottery Barn Kids catalog and I couldn't take it anymore; I had to make one for myself! I tried a few new techniques and combinations, making her quite the glitzy little lady. She has some pink rick-rack, pink pom-poms (excellent for helping toddlers fiddle to sleep), a cute pink flannel fabric we found in the remnant bin at Jo-Ann. The ears are a bit off kilter; I was studying an owl in the bird book today and have lots more ideas. However, they, too, provide a great tool for toddlers who love to twiddle as they fall asleep ... and Miss E is delighted with her. She has lugged her to several stores already, and made sure that she and Aunt Hooty went for a stroller ride together right away.

I also tried out some embroidery, but I think I have a long way to go. Cheap(er) floss is definitely NOT a good way to go, I've learned. And I was going to rip out the French knots on her, but Miss E said she wanted to keep them. Not sure they really add anything to the pattern, but they are a nice texture, I guess, for those who are into that. (Said toddler being one of "them.")

No comments: