Sunday, October 19, 2008

Nuther baby giftie

I had to miss my friend Michelle's baby shower today since we were at Maker Faire, but one of the many baby gifts I made last week was a very special one for her new baby girl, due around Thanksgiving. You see, she and her hubby have a special place in their hearts for a little hedgehog named Alpine, who unfortunately led a very short life. I found this awesome pink Japanese hedgehog fabric at Craft-O-Rama a couple of months ago, and though Miss E tried to claim it repeatedly, it was a no-brainer for this gift.

To top it off, I just happened to see a hedgehog softie tutorial a week or so ago, so the gift was exactly what I was looking for. I just love the baby hedgie that can pop into mama's pocket ... and the reversible pocket is just too clever. Instead of felt for spines, I used ribbons (hey, I was on a roll), so it came out as another lightweight, easy-to-grasp baby toy. I did make it a tad bigger than the one in the tutorial ... but you already know I can't follow any directions perfectly, without adding something. What can I say? Top it off with a hedgehog, pink flannel and minkee ribbon blankie, and my gift was ready to go.

My sis delivered it today ... Happy baby girl #2 to Michelle!

No comments: