Wednesday, February 9, 2011

To dye for

A year or more ago, I took our stained and tired white table napkins and turned them a beautiful, deep espresso color. I mistakenly bleached them the next week, so they were a nice light shade of coffee au lait for a long time after that. I re-dyed them at some point, but they were becoming tired again and I was ready for a change.

The girls were thrilled today to find that we now have viciously violet napkins and flour sack towels.

Last week, I tried RIT dye in "purple". Blah at best. It barely covered the brown, making just slightly purplish and barely any darker. I don't know what went wrong; I followed their package instructions as closely as possible. I only used one package of dye, but I didn't think that would matter for the fairly small amount of fabric I had.

Today, I went back to my trusty iDye packets, making sure I used two just in case, and sure enough, I've got a seriously intense purple. Yahoo! I don't know the difference in the two brands, and though my sister has great luck with RIT, I'm sticking with iDye.

I should take a photo, but the girls are interrupting again ...

No comments: